Quite often as a Promoter/Principal/Manager of a school, one is inundated with CV vying for jobs at school. I have come across many of them and at time feel miserable for the candidates looking to put forth there sent CV as their best shot. Though I am no authority on formatting of CV or on the English language, but a decision maker for sure. I am putting down some pointers for creating the right resume;
- Introduction – A crisp introduction at the beginning of the CV is very much required. This job was performed by the cover letter years ago, but in this day and age an introduction to CV is must. This should be placed at the top of the CV below the name and address details. An extension of this address should be copied to the body copy of the email, also mention the salary and the perks provided by the current employer in the mail copy.
- Chronology of events in a candidate’s life: Stick to the basic and provide exact details of how your school, education, work experience etc have unfolded over your life time.
- Subject of the Email: Informing about the grade you are looking at (PRT, PGT,PRT, PTI, NTT etc), subject/subjects you are going to teach (Maths/Science/English etc), work exp (years) helps the receiver process your CV at his end.
- Language: If you are a language teacher, for example Hindi why can’t we have a Hindi typed resume. Most of the time, one can find lot of spelling and grammatical mistakes in such CV causing embarrassment for the candidate.
- Don’t use CAPS letter a lot: I have observed a lot of candidates using capital letters to write subjects, also the copy in the mail. Avoid, use the wisdom of MS word to take you through.
- Extra-Curricular / Versatility: Provide (if you have) ideas to the employers about your skills beyond the academic subject, school loves to have teachers who can help them culture hobbies, competitions etc.
- Provide references
Last but most important, check/double check for spellings and grammar.
Below is a format if anybody likes to create their CV (fill your details where XXXXXXXXXXX)
(Current status – Introduction)
I am a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, with a total work experience of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Years in the field of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
My work experience includes tenures across various XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Over the years, I have managed to develop a considerable understanding of various XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I am a graduate / post graduate from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ð Complete understanding of the process of CCE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
WORK EXPERIENCE SUMMARY (in reverse chronological order, i.e. latest first)
Organisation: Brighton International School, Raipur
Duration: Mar’09 –
- ð XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Organisation: DPS, Mathura Road Delhi
Duration: July’08 – Feb’09
Higher Secondary (Name of the school) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Intermediate (Name of the school) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date of Birth : 28th January 1969
Address : 41, Nestings XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
- Open / Starta School in India and CBSE Affiliation - May 31, 2022
- Private School getting Affiliated as a Sainik School - January 28, 2022
- Teacher Awards - September 20, 2021