Interactive Classroom in Indian Schools – Scenario & Options
|Interactive Classroom – Moving from being special to must have|
Till a few years (7-8 years) back, Interactive Classrooms Technology (ICT) Infrastructure used to act as an item of customer delight for parents. But with the factors like progression of technology, advancement of hardware, market/competitive pressure, downward thrust by the affiliation boards, lowering of costs, changing pedagogy at school level, demands of the current education standard and keeping in view the student of today the ICT has graduated being a hygiene product among the school offerings. From a differentiation proposition it has evolved to being a must have.This blog will help you understand the players in this industry and a how to choose guide for the school management and administrators.
Evolution of the industry
The business started primarily for computer education, but the movement caught pace with the availability of cheaper hardware and adoption of computers by the normal folk. With projectors came a new wave, converting the study material and topics into multimedia animated features proving very effective in the learning of the students. Post this came interactive boards and later interactive remotes for students to answer question. In all of this also evolved the use of touch technology on these boards thus helping teachers with various options.
Gradually now, the players in this sector have started to provide the following;
- Maths Lab
- Robotics Lab
- English Lab
- Science Experiment Kit
- Online Portal for students to help them access all the content online.
- ERP for Schools – To help regulate fee and inventory etc.
- Computer Lab and Training
How it happens
A server is installed in the school building which supports all the classrooms attached through LAN wires. All the classrooms are supplied with the following;
1) Computer Processing Unit
3) White Board/ Interactive Board
Players in ICT business
- Educomp http://www.educomp.com/: The pioneer in the industry and possibly the one with the most exciting hardware solution is the most widely used service currently. Educomp “SMART CLASSES” has become a synonym for the entire industry vertical.
- Next Education http://www.nexteducation.in/: A late entrant in the industry based out of hyderabad but has expanded rapidly and now offering products across the needs of the school.
- NIIT http://www.niit.com/services/SolutionsforSchool/Pages/SolutionsforSchool.aspx: One of the oldest in the business with flexible solutions and pioneers in the realm of Maths Lab and ERP solution.
- EXTRA MARKS
- CLASS TEACHER
- Mostly the deal with the school is made for a period of 5 Years
- The payment is collected in advance for a quarter
- The service provider takes control of all the hardware for a period of 5 years post which the responsibility to maintain falls with the school administration
- The money charged from the school is divided into three types
- For the purchase of the Hardware product – Sort of EMI distributed over 5 years
- Usage of Licence
- Usage of Services
- Initially a resource person from the company is deployed, but later based on understanding of finances stays or moves out. This person helps in mobilsing the usage of the services among the teachers.
- Quality of Hardware – Have a close look at the quality being offered as eventually its going to be your asset after a period of 5 years
- Depth of the network of the service – How is the company looking, would they be able to maintain the quality standard in serving you in future.
- Depth of the Content – Check the books being prescribed in your school and the topics covered, are they covered by the content provider.
- Cost per class
- Teachers – Definition by itself cannot be bad, though it seems you while you make the teachers learn and adapt. Teachers mostly technologically challenged find it difficult to maneuver their way around the hardware thus causing the problem with the usage and mal-usage of the hardware.
- Upkeep – Expensive hardware in the classrooms with students can be a combustible situation
- Cost – Under pressure the schools have to buy this solution. The revenue model by the existing players is yet to evolve on revenue per students and is limited to revenue per class. This makes it difficult for New Schools to get this in their premises.
I am also now a partner with a School consulting company which helps budding educators or investors start school or gain access to help related to school. The help could be in the form of Turnkey School Consultation, Detailed Project report, Project Finance, Business Plan consulting, Recruitment planning, Infrastructure consultation, Affiliation Consultation, Teacher’s Training, Academic and Curriculum Planning. I now have a decade of work experience. I strongly believe in improving every day and I have tremendous respect for people who pursue their dreams with undying passion and enthusiasm.
I have worked in Mumbai for about 6 years as a Marketing-Media professional which has helped me in shaping what I am today. I am Chemical Engineer with an MBA in Marketing.
You can know more about me at www.linkedin.com/in/abhineysingh
You can mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on +91 70002 40006. This number is also on watsapp.
Latest posts by Abhiney Singh (see all)
- Common Deficiency after IC – CBSE Affiliation - September 19, 2017
- Start a Trust / Society / Section 8 Company for School - September 9, 2017
- How to start a Franchise of Brighton International School in your Town - August 12, 2017