What is a School Management Committee in a CBSE School?
The affiliation Bye Laws State that “School Management Committee” means the committee managing the school”
Is it Compulsory for a school to have a School Management Committee?
Yes, it is absolutely necessary for a school to have a School Management Committee (SMC).
The Rule Says – “Subject to relevant provision in the Education Act of the State/U.T. Concerned, every affiliated school except schools run directly by the Education Department of the Government of the State/U.T. should have a scheme of management approved by the Board. It should also have a School Managing Committee as laid down under section 20(1) (2), (3) and 21.” (Page 10 – Affiliation Bye Laws)
What are the Powers and Functions of SMC?
- It shall have the power to supervise the activities of the school for its smooth functioning.
- It will work according to the specific directions given by the Society regarding admission policy. However, admissions will be made as per merit without discretion of caste/creed/religion and region.
- It shall look into the welfare of the teachers and employees of the school.
- It shall evolve both short-term and long-term programmes for the improvement of the school.
- It shall have the powers for making appointment of teachers and non teaching staff.
- It shall exercise financial powers beyond those delegated to the Principal within the budgetary provision of the school.
- It shall have the power to take stock of academic programmes and progress of the school without jeopardising the academic freedom of Principal.
- It shall guide the Principal to maintain tone and discipline in the school.
- It shall ensure that the norms given in the Act of the State and by the CBSE regarding terms and conditions of service and other rules governing recognition/affiliation of the school are strictly adhered to.
- It should ensure that the school gets Furniture, Science equipment, Library books and other teaching aids and the requisite sports material in adequate quantity and on time.
- It shall exercise powers to take disciplinary action against staff.
- It shall have powers to sanction leave to the Head of the Institution including casual leave.
- It shall ensure that no financial irregularity is committed or any irregular procedure with regard to admission/examinations is adopted.
- It shall have the power to propose to the Society rates of tuition fees and other annual charges and also review the budget of the school presented by the Principal for forwarding the same to Society for approval.
- The Managing Committee will meet at least twice in an academic session.
What should be the size of SMC?
For an UNAIDED PRIVATE SCHOOL : The SMC shall not consist of more than 21 (Twenty One Members) i.e the MAXIMUM numbers of members of a committee should be 21. Circular (Kindly read Page 5)
For any AIDED SCHOOL: The SMC shall not consist of more than 15 (Fifteen Members) i.e the MAXIMUM numbers of members of a committee should be 15. Circular (Kindly read Page 5)
What should be the Profile of the members of SMC?
50% of the members should be women.
S.No Number of Members Profile of Members
1 1 the Head of the school. He will be the Member Secretary of the School Managing Committee
2 2 Two parents - 1. Father of any student
2. Mother of any student.
3 2 Two Teachers of the school
4 2 Two other persons (of whom one shall be women); who are or have been teachers of any other school or of any college.
5 2 Two members to be nominated by the board. Here schools can either take consent of the two Principals from KV, Navoday Vidyalaya or need to submit the names of 5 to 6 principals of CBSE secondary schools of which 2 to 3 are from KVs or JNVs. Of these 5-6, CBSE will nominate 2 principals to represent them, on school's SMC.
6 as many As per the bye laws of the society / Trust / Section -8 company running the school.
7 Rest of the Members Selection of these members depending upon the rules laid by the trust/society
Members outside of the School should be recommended by the Trust/Society running the school.
Kindly Note: No Head Master/Principal shall be appointed in the school who is related to any member of the School Managing Committee. For the purpose of this rule, the relation includes the following Brothers, Sisters, Husband, Wife, Son, Daughter, Son-in-law and Daughter-in law.
What is the Serving Tenure / term for a School Management Committee
The term of the members of the Managing Committee shall be 3 years.
A member can be re-nominated for another term but a member cannot remain in office for more than two consecutive terms expect exofficio members and the members of the trust/Society
- The Schools of 2030 – Will Physical School survive in the longer Run? - May 8, 2020
- Starting a CBSE SchoolAbroad / Foreign (outside of India) - March 22, 2020
- How to Choose / identify an ideal plot of land for School in India - March 21, 2020