Construction Requirement for a School
Once you are familiar with the Land Requirement for CBSE, the next question is how much to construct. So a regular Budget School today provisions for the following;
- Class Rooms – Based on Classes the School is starting with and the Section they are looking to start
- Office – Management, Admission, Accounts, Principal, Vice Principal, Coordinator, Counsellor
- Big Rooms – Library, Computer Lab, Dance Studio, Music Room, Craft & Art Room, Staff Room
- Miscellaneous Rooms – Exam Department, Stores,
- Toilets – Boys, Girls, Staff
- Assembly Hall / Ground
- Play Area – Swings, Slides, Merry go round and other outdoor play equipments
- Playground / Courts
I am trying below an approximate Sq Feet one has to build to accommodate all the above except 7 & 8.
Classroom Size: If one has to go through the bye law it says
“Class rooms – minimum size should be 8 m x 6 m (approx 500. sq. ft.).
(ii) Science Labs. (Composite for Secondary or/and separate Physics, Chemistry and Biology for Senior Secondary)- minimum size should be 9 m.x 6 m. each(approx 600 sq. ft) and fully equipped.
(iii) Library – minimum size should be 14 m.x 8 m. fully equipped and with reading room facility.
(iv) Computer Lab. and Math Lab. – No minimum size is prescribed, however, the school should have separate provision for each
(v) Rooms for extra curricular activities – either separate rooms for music, dance, arts & sports or one multi purpose hall for all these activities should be available.
The 500 Sq Feet Classroom is easy enough to make sir 35 ~ 40 students at a time. So here is the maths of total Square Feet of Construction
- The School is starting from Nursery – Class VII
- School is starting with 2 section each
- School is building all the above mentioned point in the beginning of this post.
- We will do all the calculation by taking unit as One Classroom which measure 500 Sq feet
Total No of Classrooms with two sections each – 20
Library – Double of a classroom – 2
Labs – Maths Lab & Composite Science Lab – 3
Studio – Art, Music & Dance – 4.5
Management Office, Principals Office – 2
Accounts, Coordinator, Exam Room, Store, Admissions Office – 3.5
Staff Room – 2
Toilets – 3
So a total of = 40 units of 500 Square feet each
= 20,000 Square Feet
If one has to multiply this 20,000 Sq Feet with a rough estimate of Rs 900 for construction, the fund requirement is around Rs 1.8 Crores or 2 crores.
Nationalised Banks do give loans to Societies / Trust looking to start schools.
Hope this post will help one get a better understanding of the task and the costs
I am also now a partner with a School consulting company which helps budding educators or investors start school or gain access to help related to school. The help could be in the form of Turnkey School Consultation, Detailed Project report, Project Finance, Business Plan consulting, Recruitment planning, Infrastructure consultation, Affiliation Consultation, Teacher’s Training, Academic and Curriculum Planning. I now have a decade of work experience. I strongly believe in improving every day and I have tremendous respect for people who pursue their dreams with undying passion and enthusiasm.
I have worked in Mumbai for about 6 years as a Marketing-Media professional which has helped me in shaping what I am today. I am Chemical Engineer with an MBA in Marketing.
You can know more about me at www.linkedin.com/in/abhineysingh
You can mail me on email@example.com or call me on +91 70002 40006. This number is also on watsapp.
Latest posts by Abhiney Singh (see all)
- Start a Budget IB School Or A Premium CBSE School – Case Study Bangalore - February 1, 2017
- Construction Requirement for a School - January 1, 2017
- Are School Consultants Effective in Indian School System - October 22, 2016