Skip to content

Permissions required to start a school in India

Permission Required to Start School in India

Dear ‘to be School Promoters’,

A lot of you must be mulling the idea to start the school but still daunted with the task of figuring out the required permissions / Licences / Authorisations / No objection Certificate which are required. This post will list out almost all the permissions required to start a school in India. I am listing down the points based on the timing of these steps, most of them succeed the one mentioned earlier too them.

  1. Formation of Society / Trust / Section 8 company
  2. Bank Account in the name of Society / Trust / Section 8 company
  3. Lease Document is the land is being leased to the school or Sale Deed if the school has bought it or otherwise. Lease deed should be in the name of school and Duration of the Lease – 30 years
  4. Change of Land Use (Diversion) (CLU) document of the land on which the school is building is going to get built
  5. Approved Map by the concerned authority
  6. State Board Affiliation
  7. EPF & ESIC Permission and registration
  8. CBSE Affiliation
    • No Objection Certificate from the State Government
    • Affidavit of Non-Proprietary Character of Society
    • Fire Safety Certificate
    • Health and Sanitation Certificate
    • Building Safety Certificate
    • Police Verification Report – All School Staff including Class IV Staff
    • Safety Audit Report from Local Police Department

The above are the list of documents required to start a school in India.

Abhiney Singh
Follow me
Latest posts by Abhiney Singh (see all)

5 thoughts on “Permissions required to start a school in India”

  1. Have started a school in Thane by forming a Trust and getting it registered .
    Besides this I have my own premises where the school is started.
    Can I start the school till 10th grade in the 1st year itself.
    Want to know what are the procedures to affiliate with the state board Maharashtra and also what is the options to affiliate with CBSE.

    1. Yes, you can get it affiliated directly upto Class X standard, but admission can only happen in Class IX, for Class X, you can only seek direct admissions (doesn’t work).

      So if all the paper work is ready, you can announce admission open upto Class IX

  2. will investing in starting a school for children in south india be enough to get me full indian residency and permission to work in india

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *