Off late, the pressure is a lot on teachers and Principals to conceive and deliver a program at the time of School’s annual function which is as good as it is shown during the reality shows and award functions on the TV channels. The entire production values involved with the program have gone upstream. For most of the programs now a days, the organisers have a binding theme. This post will help for those looking to seek. This is a collation of various themes and ideas which can be used by people concerned. A lot of these ideas are inspired from other schools. The blog is not taking any credit for originality.
List of themes;
- Indian Values ‘Sanskars‘ – Program can be built around traditional values imbibed by us as sons and daughters from our parents, as citizens of this country, as followers of a particular caste/region/sect, as inhabitants of a particular zone or area, as citizens of the world or from the values we learn from our Past (including folk tales and mythology)
- Humanity ‘Rishtey’ – Lets talk about importance of peace, harmony, unity in diversity, The concept of One God, World is my village “ वसुधैव कुटुम्बकम”, people involved with humanitarian work like Mother Teresa etc. The entire theme is around human values and standing for each other.
- Around Geography – There can be multiple themes which can be woven around Geography for example; Rivers of India (You mention the river and show the cultural aspect of that particular region) or you can take for example Ganges and start from the top and end it with Bengal, thereby showing the folk art forms from Kathak to Bihu. Similar themes can be around Mountain Ranges, States, Languages, Regions,, Around the World (Salsa, Afro Jazz, Street Dancing, Ballet ….) etc
- History – of the World/ of India / of Freedom of the country / Region – Show events which have been responsible for creating our society and culture and remember those who have made an everlasting impact. for example World – World War, Cold War, Renaissance Columbus, Hitler, Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi, Mandela, Industrial revolution etc.
- Navrasa – There are 9 various forms or emotions mentioned in our art and culture. The entire show can be woven around mentioning these forms and displaying those emotions. The 9 are as follows – Shringar, Karun, Hasya, Veer, Vatsalya, Bhayank, Adbhut, Raudra & Shant Ras.
- Children’s World – A place of innocence, Mischief, Comrade-in-arms and Imagination.
- Conservation – Save trees, forests, Water, Electricity, Fuel, Words/Temper, Culture etc.
- Mother – The manifestation of mother in various forms in Indian culture – Mom, Mother Earth/Nature, Mother Country, Mother Language, Cow etc. It also can include a celebration of great mothers like Sivaji’s mom Jijabai, Rani Jhashi, Parvati etc.
- Ambition/Expectation – The idea here will be to make parents understand the child’s dream. This theme is about taking the pressure off from academics, Pains of a kid when he sees mother – father in a domestic violence or altercation – how his ambition of a great family is broken, Child’s expectation from leaders, society, elders etc. All this would be tackled by simplicity and honesty
- A day in School – In this theme the program can showcase, what all goes in school. The ringing of bell, the class, the love of teachers, happy-go-lucky punishments, all pranks, PTM, sports etc.
- Seven deadly Sins – Though a little adult in the idea, this can be modulated to suit school students. The seven deadly sins are – Wrath, Greed, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Envy & Gluttony
- A Human’s life – This theme can expand on the rites of passage and our duty during such events and time in our life.
- Society – This theme can show the real life mirror to those watching. This theme can take up various topics in the context of our society and build upon them. The issues such as Dowry, Child Labour, Caste bias etc. A little serious in nature but can be made fun by energising the pace of the show.
- All Religion is One – What’s in the name?, there is only one divine power and all fingers point in the same direction. This is a brilliant theme which allows us to create various dance and ballets to be drawn from the life and time of deities or great people like Ram , Paigambar Mohammad, Buddha, Guru Nanak, Sant Kabeer, Jesus etc.
- Personalities – There are many personalities, such as Gandhi, Gautam Buddha, Mandela, J.L.Nehru, Swami Vivekanada, B R Ambedkar etc an account of their life and time can be a theme on its own. Little anecdotes, major events, people around them etc can lend itself to ideas. Think of this as a Broadway Musical.
- Local Culture
An ensemble comprising of facets from the local culture can match up to become a great theme. Bhojpuri, Rajashthani, Bengali, Chhattisgarhi etc.
- Celebrating Womanhood
This is a complete package. Think of things you can do, Showcase lives of Great women – Rani Laxmi Bai, Indira Gandhi, Sita, Mother Teresa etc. Touch upon social issue like dowry, occult, domestic violence, celebrate various forms of woman sister, mother, tecaher etc.
- Family: Celebrate different forms of family, the immediate family, extended family, city, state, country and world
- Formations of Nature: Just like Nava Rasa theme can be woven around formations of nature like, VIBGYOR (Rainbow), Nine Planets, Seven Days etc. The good part of this theme is you can make everything fit backwards.
- The fundamentals of a progressive society.
This theme can feature items around Power of People, Power of Democracy, Victory of Non-Violence, Strength of Press (Pen is mightier than sword), emancipation of women etc. This can be great educative trip for parents and students alike.
- Change is a beautiful topic There are so many things which come to my mind when we talk about change some of which are – change by definition cannot be bad, or change is the only thing permanent, or desist change and you stop existing, the more we change more we remain the same, avoiding change is like holding your breath etc. Here are some ideas you can use as dance routines and ???? possible play;
1) a story of our freedom struggle through dance sequence as this was one of the biggest change our country ever saw.
2) the change we see in our country as western values take control of our lives how do we resist this change and stay true to our Sanskars
3) How should we not change our attitude towards our dear ones when we see a change around us personally and professionally. You can do a Krishna – Sudama routine
4) How man has or is changing from ape to a better human form and his mind is changing in reverse order, we should being so different and bring about world peace. Songs on world peace and on shunning communalism.
5) You can do small kids dance routine on the change of caterpillar to a butterfly
6) Play/ act on how siddartha changed to Buddha, there are other examples which can be done with several personalities etc.
I will keep adding more if I can come up with more. Hope you will find this useful.
Latest posts by Abhiney Singh (see all)
- Open / Starta School in India and CBSE Affiliation - May 31, 2022
- Private School getting Affiliated as a Sainik School - January 28, 2022
- Teacher Awards - September 20, 2021
Hi, Can somebody suggest me how to conduct Annual day for Preschoolers in an online platform. I have no clue. I think we can only record and upload or get kids in small groups to school. Get them practiced and record the video . Kindly help as i am pressurised to check on the technology basis.Would be a great help!
Thanks in advance
I am also a kindergarten teacher and I have to do online celebration, since we conducted Virtual Christmas celebration & Onam celebration… it’s a great experience… children ll love it..
Next I ve to do Annual day..which I m still working on it…
Hi , I am a middle school teacher and I am looking for a theme for an online Annual day , Can anyone plz help with some ideas or scripts
For annual Function
Sir i want some themes for annual function, so plzzz suggest names of themes. .
Read my blog, I have already mentioned several themes.
Tell me Some themes related to pollution
Nice themes you have, so please give me a suitable theme based on India
Please suggest me few theme for Montessoriwhich could be real life and heart touching.As I am running a school .
I want theme for annual sport day
i want to theme name for misuse of technology like mobiles
Thanks for sharing your thought on different themes.
I need to come up with the theme that shows importance of 21st century skills
or Future ready kids
Your thoughts on these lines.
Kindly help me out with a radio theme for kindergarten annual day
Iwant know theam for annual function based on sustainable goals
Sir please suggest me some school annual day function theme for class nur to 12th..
Dear Varsha, There are so many themes I have mentioned, please pick one from there.
Sir suggest some nice themes for annual function 2020 .It should not be related to nature, environment, secularism,caste,politics,democracy gender equality, other than this plz suggest themes so that nice message should go.
I have already provided so many themes, kindly follow any of them
Sir, where have y
you posted the themes?
Now on days during Corona situation may be Corona worries is best theme.many types like speech about Dr,police, Labour, government etc then dance create how to born Corona and how to sperd full journey,song like Hindi prayer he iswar ya Allah. And skit how is mange people how to face Corona etc….
sir i am a co ordinator in a pre school my annual functiontheme is Bollywood.pl.give a attractive title for the annual function.
can u plz suggest any themes related to innovate and excel for annual day for kindergarten
Innovate & Excel – You can use the example of several large inventions which transformed the way we lead our lives. Fire, Wheel, Radio, Current etc.
This sounds good. Kindly suggest a suitable title too.
Secondly if you could please suggest a few more titles for the theme CHANGE – I truly loved it.
Basically, I am looking for a theme for my school’s Annual Prize Distribution Ceremony’s theme for Grade 1 till Grade 6. I want to select something really innovative and creative.
I liked a few two of which I had mentioned earlier (several large inventions and change). The third topic that caught me is Formation of nature.
( Annual function theme)
Read all your themes…good going..Meaningful themes
Hey hi ! where did u find the themes?
Sir please sujest me some school function theme for class nur to 8th..
Hi sir plz suggest some annual function theme for nursery to 10th std sutdents..
There are so many themes already listed take any of them
hi Abhiney, this is Kulsum. I am working in a school in pune. Last year we had done annual function on theme of colours. This year we are planning to do on dances of the world, but we want to make a message oriented. So please suggest some ideas.
That is not going to be that difficult, just take the viewers from both the sides of the world one by one ending your program in India. You can also use several monuments in these countries you will feature as your backdrop. The message can be 1) World Peace 2) All Religions preach Peace 3) We are the World, we are the children
Sir can u suggest me some theme for our college anual fest.our last year theme was “Tour De Dance” where all the dance forms from various countries were presented. For this year can u suggest out some innovative theme for our fest.
Take a long story not separate songs and create a Ballad.
Can u suggest out some specific name for the theme and little concept so that we will be clear how to work on it
Please suggest me out some unique and creative themes for our annual function. Its really very urgent.
pls help me for preschool annual day theme could u help me?
Dear Kalpana, There are so many themes already mentioned, it will be wonderful if you can pick any of them.
Hi sir. Mind blowing concepts. myself manjula presently running school from pre-primary to 5th in Bangalore. sir i would like to know how should i go about in selecting songs if i opt change as my topic.
Hi ,i want theme for preschool could u help me?i’m preprimary coordinator .pls reply me soon .
Thnx sir bt still i need yur help ,I have selected theme jungle book in dt iwant to show dt animals are better dn human .ds for pre school n in dt some songs are attached related animals ,so i want beginning n end dialogues something we can present eg animals kils ones but human kills each moment of person by keeping in mind .pls reply me short message wnt give to parents.
suggest me any best theme for annual fnctions
Awesome ideas. May God bless you many more and much wisdom.
God be praised!
Hello Sir..Overwhelmed by reading the ideas.Really a well done job you are doing.Kindly suggest us something as our school is completing it 20 years of glory.please help us out.
This blog is really wonderful and has given so many ideas. Can I view some videos somewhere which can help further . It will be great help. Many Thanks
Hello Sir, overwhelmed by reading the ideas, which you gave. But almost all the ideas were been used by our school. So, I want that please suggest some unique theme names in hindi like maasoomiyat,dohavali,etc for Pre-Primary section .
Will wait for your reply.
I would like to get some more ideas for the theme of annual function. In the past functions we had showcased the regional dances of India from Kashmir to Kanyakumari, We have also done history based theme. This time we are looking for a new idea. Can you suggest something that is different and new
i have been enriched with ur ideas abhinav,thanks a tonn!!!!!wld like to know a theme for our school who is compliting 10 yrs n wld like to have an idea with kids from pre primary to 3rd grade
10 is a number, you can start by listing out 10 Achievements of your school in the past 10 years, 10 ALumnis, 10 Teachers, 10 Milestones etc.
I am a coordinator in a school. We are planning for our Annual Day. The theme is different cultures of the world. We thought for a title’A window to the world’ but on second thought we would like to give a catchy title to our Annual Day. Could you please help me in this regard.
Thanks and regards.
Catchy title could be following;
– We are the children, We are the World
– The Worldly Ways
– Around the World
– Vasudev Kutumbakam
– World is an Oyster
Thank you very much Mr. Abhiney for your prompt reply.
I AM PRINCIPAL OF SAINIK SCHOOL.SUGGEST SOME IDEA ABOUT ANNUAL DAY THEME PATRIOTISM.
Thanks for writing. You can take the theme of struggle beginning 1857 and weave a story till this day India.
Sir,will you like to suggest few effective stepss to be included from 1857 till today to make this theme memorable.
I am student of BBA ..in TY
sir,hum is bar apne fy ko fresher party dene vale hai…har bar hum latest issue ki theme lekar function manate hai…iss bar ke liye theme chun rahe hai…agar aapka suggestion mil jaye to bat ban jaye….
Hi Mr. Singh
Thanks for sharing wonderful themes.. I want to organise annual concert on theme different stages of human life from birth to toddler to school to college to marriage to old age.. Request you to give me some ideas on this concept n execution..
I am amazed and thrilled to read so many innovative ideas ..great job!! Indeed
i am so thrilled after reading these great themes.
please suggest some idea for nursery level
it would be great help.
Thank you Abhiney. Lot of information, Keep going
Normally school do Annual day in a form of one stage, people sitting and watching. we are thinking to do it differently this time. May be a combination of Carnival and Annual day. we want the whole school as a stage. we still not very clear in terms of execution of the same. Pls suggest some themes and a detail process/ideas/suggestion to go for it. our e-mail Id is email@example.com.
Dear Ms Joshi,
This is wonderful, you can consider the following themes
1) Different times of our Country (Pre, Post, Modern India)
2) Different regions of India
Thanks Abhinay ji for giving us great ideas.We can do good job with these ideas.
My mind keeps on working on different themes for school festivals am having many exciting and totally different thems,wd stories u can contact me on Madhurimavb @gmail. com
Hi Ms Madhurima
My school is just 3 years old and this would be the 2 annual function celebration. I am looking for a theme which puts an impact on society. Can you please suggest some ideas.
Hi our school has completed 9 annual functions so most of the themes we have already used now want to do something new , excited. What else we can include with dance and drama?
Firstly felt myself lucky to come across this blog of yours..Thank you so much for the knowledge shared in here..We are planning to celebrate our annual day round the corner of this year..With some brainstorming,landed up with the theme of “going around the world”.Kindly help me out with your suuggestions to weave into a sequence and what all could be shown, considering we are at a kindergarten level..was also wondering if the theme is doable..
It should be doable given you guys don’t get too ambitious about it. Here are the ways you can do this
1) Take different countries and their dance forms
2) Take some basic words like Hi, bye, Thank you etc and show translation of these same across different languages
3) Show different festivals by which the country are known for
Thanks for the compilation of these interesting themes. Can you please help me with details and ideas for the Navras theme.
Can you please also suggest some inter-linked themes for 3 days program in a housing society?
We did Navras Theme four years back and was quite a hit. You can watch the youtube of Brighton International School to get more details.
Any theme in 10
Hello ideas are superb .I need any theme in 10 as our school is completing 10years if u have any let me know
I want some ideas for theme on yug dhara..showcasing 4
Quite meaningful and relevant themes I have gone through!
An idea for Independence day please
We did this theme couple of years back where we took the audience through the chronology of events in the form of song and dance beginning 1857 onwards. You can try that.
hiii my name is Anoop verma dance choreography. If u any HELP PLZ call me 09893293047.
My self Hemangi . I want help 4 small kid dance. Which dance is best4 kg students? Which steps r easy 4 them?
The ideas are very helpful. Can you suggest a program where present students and alumni could be involved. The program should be grand and simply mesmerising
Wonderful ideas. Pl suggest a theme which could be projected in a grand way…aerial dances, robotic dances,light and sound effects . Something out of the world for students from nur to class 12.
Hi abhiney..can i get any idea on caterpillar to butterfly theme..for kindergarten annual function…it will be of great help …thanku
What a lovely theme you have selected. This can be performed in several ways with the underlying idea being ‘EVOLUTION’.
1) Girl evolves in woman – Highlight social issues
2) Indina evolving into Superpower – Highlight our Achievements
3) How Country under Mahatma went on to evolve into a free country – Highlight our Struggle
4) How The circle of Karma evolves – As you sow shall you reap – Drama ideas
5) How we have to evolve from religion / Caste / Colour / States to evolve as Global citizens – Highlight World peace and Terrorism, say no to Racism
6) How humanity evolved – stories of God and its messengers like Jesus, Prophet, Sai Baba,Guru Gobind Singh
7) There could be some more ideas like “Change by definition is not bad”, “The only thing constant is change”
hey thanks man, it is very helpful for me, and lots of ideas i got from you. thanks a lot.
Hi..Grt ideas!!!Can you pls suggest any idea for Grand Parents day in musical for kindergarten.
This one is easy Anubha, make people teary-eyed by creating an emotional drama. Make kids do acts to do with love, values, emotional bond etc
But how can we show them in musical form.what should be the theme.pls help me with this. Thanks
Hi..can I get more details.what theme can I take to show the dances.
I want some ideas for the ground function and some related drills n dances to make the function effective . Provide your help please.
Thanks for the earlier ideas. I need some idea for conducting a “Fun Day Activity” in school for Grade UKG
Take up any theme for ‘FUN’ like ‘FUN with colours’ or ‘FUN with Animals’ or ‘FUN with Nursery Rhymes’ etc and build a program around it.
And a slogan or a message. How to go more about this.
Can I get more details and script on this. Thanks in advance
I can’t help you beyond this, share it with your colleagues I am sure they would help. Cheers
Thanks a lot Abhiney. Will work on it and keep u posted.
Great reading all. I have enough time till nov. I’m searching a mixbag of modern and traditional. I have students upto 7 only.
Can you help me
I have been thinking about this ides called Hands which built the nation where you can feature the life of a few great individuals who shaped our nation today. Like Gandhi from Gujarat and Guru Gobind Singh from Punjab, Tagore and Vivekanand from Bengal to Maharana Pratap from Rajasthan etc etc
hello Abhinay you have suggested many themes.any suggestion for technical field.
Dear Asmita, You will have to come around and say what is the theme, post that only one can suggest a course of action.
hello abhinay good information you have given about various themes,mine is technical college so related to that if you suggest any theme.
Hi Abhiney….lovely work you are doing here….ur ideas are a great help for everyone….I have a theme but would like your help in developing a story line for the show…thr theme is ‘World In My Arms’. Pls suggest.
World in my Arms
You can talk about possibilities – Education for all, Gender Equality, Same status to disabled. You can also talk about challenges – You will change and the world will follow, Religious extremism, Waste treatment / Cleanliness etc. the idea seems to me like what is what is in my reach and what should I aim for.
Best of luck
Thanx for the reply Abhiney….what we gathered from the theme was you can achieve anything under the sky if you have the will to do it and sheer hardwork will lead you to the top. We are portraying the journey of some eminent personalities who with their will and sheer hardwork became what they are today.Hope it turns out to be a gud one…..
Great Idea Shilpi. I wish you all the best.
Really great ideas …they are wonderful eye-openers. I really liked the idea of butterfly from a caterpillar and child labor …can I relate that to the theme of freedom? Or pls suggest some ideas for a cultural event on theme freedom. One can be for sure on our country s evolution… Anymore?
Abhinay, our school showcased a theme titled ‘Manthan’ – starting with struggle at the mythological samudra manthan followed by the struggle between the Britishers and freedom fighters and in this segment we took the Manthan to various states like Gujrat, showed Garba Ras and the gem i.e. Gandhiji that came out of the Manthan there, states like Punjab, Maharashtra, Bengal etc. all were featured with their folk dances and the famous freedom fighters were shown to be the gems. It all ended with a grand patriotic closing dance. It looked grand and was inclusive of many dance forms, songs and was much appreciated.
Shefali, This is wonderful. Thanks for contributing.
Hi Abhinav.. I am kirti from Allahabad..teacher of a secondary school..i read all ur ideas and theme..please suggest few songs that can be performed by secondary school students.
Dear Kirti I am no expert on songs, sorry can’t help you there.
Can you plz suggest ideas of how i can introduce the performances so that audiences enjoy and not feel bored listing to the hosts
Keep changing the settings of where the anchors are supposed to address the audience.
ideas to bring our culture back is very good.
new themes to develop moral and ethical values
Kindly give suggestion for a storyline on theme “The World in my Arms”
mr abhiney thnx a lot the post made by you on your website are very helpful.
thank u for thise help full information
Abhinay is there any way I can get entire script for the entire annual gathering show.
I want to follow a theme.
I liked values
But how to build the entire 90 mins show with songs dances and plays around it.
I will be greatly obliged if you can help.
I have a two pre recorded audio tracks on me One which my school http://www.brightoninternational.in did in the year 2012-13 and the other in 2014-15. The theme were ‘Rasas’ (essence) and ‘Festivals of India’. Here are the recording of the event on our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/BrightonSchoolRaipur Let me know if you wish to have these tracks, we can work this out.
Hello abhiney sir,
Which shakespeare play would be ideal for annualday? From grade 3 to grade 9.
Very nice I like it
very helpful sir… thank u so much..
THANK YOU SIR….VERY VERY HELPFUL
Wonderful themes..nd are very thoughful..thank u so much sir
very nice i like it
Good g …… very interesting themes
Your Comment Here..very nice themes sir…thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful themes
I would like some theme for grade –2–5. Class on the investiture ceremony
Wonderful themes! Thank you. May the Almighty help yourschool to grow to great heights. Wish you the very best!
i want idea for my dance show.I am a choreograher teaching kathak & western
ethnic theme – ramayanaa, yayati, puruRava and urvashi story
Would like to know more details..we hv schools runninng in many parts of UP
What details would you like to have? You can send me a mail on my id firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi I want some ideas on ATTITUDE – theme for Founders Day. To be performed by Grade 5 students approx 250.
With ATTITUDE you can take the idea of the idea of Bharat to India.
1) How nation’s attitude is changing because of our growing strength- Connectivity, Start ups, Economy, Defence, Smart cities, Make in India etc
2) The change in ATTITUDE which is coming in each of our lives – Beti Padhao- Beti Bachao, Swach Bharat etc
3) What Attitude is not required for this Modern India – Honour killing, Corruption, nepotism etc etc.
Hop this helps
Hi how can we show the theme values on our annual prize night