Skip to content

The CBSE Affiliation Fee and the Reserve Deposit – Basic Information

CBSE Affiliation Fee and Reserve Deposit

When a school applies for CBSE they have to pay a certain amount of Money as part of the Affiliation Fee. The figure of the CBSE Affiliation fee keeps on changing from time to time.
While writing this post as on date (10 April 2016) the Affiliation Fee is as follows;

A. Affiliation Fee in respect of Independent Schools
Approval of middle class syllabus:
Independent schools within the country Rs.50,000/-
Independent Schools Rs.2,00,000/-
Fresh Provisional Affiliation for Secondary Classes (Class X)
Independent schools within the country Rs.1,50,000/-
Rs.1,00,000/- (If already affiliated upto Middle Class)
Overseas Independent Schools Rs.2,50,000/-
Rs.1,50,000/- (If already affiliated upto Middle Class)
Upgradation Senior Secondary level
Independent schools within the country Rs.1,00,000/-
Rs.2,50,000/- (If switch over from other Board)
Overseas Independent Schools Rs.2,00,000/-
Rs.2,00,000/- (If switch over from other Board))
Introduction of additional subject
Independent schools within the country (Science Subject) Rs 10,000/- per subject
Independent schools within the country (Other Subject) Rs 5,000/- per subject
Overseas Independent Schools (Science Subject) Rs. 50,000/- per subject
Overseas Independent Schools (Other Subject) Rs. 20,000/- per subject
Extension of Provisional Affiliation
Independent schools within the country Rs 50,000/-
Overseas Independent Schools Rs 2,00,000/-
Late Fee Rs.20,000/- (Rs. Ten Thousand Only) per month till Rs 1 Lac

How to submit the Affiliation Fee

  1. Affiliation fee is to be deposited separately by Demand Draft drawn in favour of Secretary, Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi.
  2. Schools can also remit prescribed fee through a system generated e‐challan at any branches of HDFC Bank or through NEFT /RTGS through branches of any nationalized /scheduled Banks

Please Note: For this purpose HDFC Bank branch locater is provided on the website . The HDFC Bank will accept requisite fee amount by cash/DD/Cheque. However the confirmation page of online application can be generated by schools only after crediting requisite fee in the CBSE account with HDFC Bank. Schools opting to remit fee through NEFT /RTGS in the CBSE account with HDFC bank can also take print of confirmation of online application form subject to realisation of the requisite fee in the CBSE account with HDFC Bank. After taking printout of confirmation page of online application form, the same duly signed by the Principal and Manager of the school alongwith enclosures and CBSE copy of fee payment challan shall be sent to the Board at the following address:The Deputy Secretary(Affiliation) Central Board of Secondary Education Shiksha Kendra 2, community Centre, PreetVihar, Delhi ‐110092

Now a relevant question could be ‘What happens to the affiliation Fee if a schools doesn’t get or is Rejected for CBSE Affiliation’.

Here is a circular from CBSE which explains the financial repercussions, have a look


It basically states an amendment in the bye law from a 10% deduction in the affiliation fee it has been increased to 50%. So total refund a school will get post rejection will be 50% of the submitted Affiliation Fee. The time period is within a year.

School Reserve Fund

“Reserve Fund” means fund created by the school authority as per requirement of the Board, in a Post Office/Nationalized Bank in the joint names of the Managing Trustee/ Society Member / Company and the Principal of the School concerned.

I believe the amount is of hardly any consequence but still it is mandatory requirement.

1) The school shall maintain reserve fund to the extent indicated below:

Enrolment of students from 1st and onwards

Amount of Reserve Fund

Upto 500 students

Rs. 60,000/-

From 501 to 750 students

Rs. 80,000/-

From 751 to 1000 students

Rs. 100,000/-

Above 1000 students

Rs. 100/- per student’ rounded to the nearest thousand.

Abhiney Singh
Follow me
Latest posts by Abhiney Singh (see all)

43 thoughts on “The CBSE Affiliation Fee and the Reserve Deposit – Basic Information”

  1. We are permanently affilated from state board till 8th class and now we want to move toward cbse for secondary level…sir, can we apply directly for secondary level to cbse or firstly we to get affilation from state board till 10th and then have to apply for secondary in CBSE…

    1. Dear Sir
      Can we apply for Secondary school affiliation after getting middle school affiliation immediately. Suppose we got affiliation middle school in session 2019-20 and want to start class 9 in the session 2021-22.

    2. Dear sir,
      We have filled successfully all the forms online and paid payment successfully online. But final submission page is not shown after paying amount 48 hours before.
      We wait 2 days but no action. Now time is over. How to get confirmation page….
      Plz. Guide…

  2. Sir Is it mandatory to pay salary of staff through ECS it is very complicated process time is limited with us i have t write compliance to cbse i have done salary through Internet banking of sbi

  3. hello will the last date for affiliation on line extented? only 4 more days are there for last date.Our NOC is under process. what can we do? Is there any alternate to do online? please reply.

    1. Dear Vasanthi, My apologies for a late reply. As you must have observed by now, the dates haven’t received an extension. Portal will again open on January 1st for affiliation for the Academic year 2020-21.

  4. When we applied for provisional affiliation, the reserve fund was RS 60000/-for the strength it’s then. Now we are applying for upgradation. For the present strength (560) the reserve fund should be 80000/- . What should be done now? Shall we deposit 20000/- Is it okay?

    1. The reserve fund rules have gone through a change, earlier what was between the Secretary, CBSE, and the Manager, school is now between the Managing Trustee/ Chairman / Member / Director of Sec 8 and the Principal of the School.
      Above 1000 students it should be Rs. 100/- per student’ rounded to the nearest thousand. In your case for 560 strength, you have to deposit 80,000. I think you have done the right thing.

    2. Hi Abhinav
      I want to apply for extension affiliation from CBSE….please guide how to start with…..m doing it for the first time…..
      Can u help.

      Sangeeta Sinha

      1. Dear Ms Sinha,
        The window should open on January 1st, before that get hold of all the documents like Building safety, Fire, Water, Sanitation, DEO certified annexure etc.If you are facing any problem, feel free to message me in WhatsApp in 70002 40006

  5. Dear Sir ,

    We are filling our Affiliation for Secondary level , now we have filled all required detail in online , can we pay affiliation fee directly from HDFC net banking.

    Pls confirm

  6. I have withdrawn the Reserve fund as there was scarcity of fund and now again i want to deposit the same. can you kindly advice on the matter.

      1. CBSE Affiliated School ko regular inspection karne ke liye kaun officer authorised hain ?
        Prescribed Registration Fee for class IX aur Examination Fee for class X se jyada school Manager demand karte hai tatha Board dwara issued Marks sheet, Magration Certificate, Qualifying certificate ka fee Demand karte hain. Iska shikayat kahan darj kiya jaye ?

        1. CBSE can inspect any school under them at any given point of time. There are n authorised inspectors but school principals from different schools are the one who can conduct inspections. CBSE nominates these Principals.
          If you are a parent, kindly talk to the School Management Committee.

  7. some one told me that there should be two doors of a room as per the new norms of CBSE, but it is not written any where. is it True?

  8. The school missed the last date of online submission of form and fees for upgradation of school to sr.sec level (2017-18), and the site is closed now! what is the way further? will the link be reopened again? im the new principal who has joined recently…and dont want my students to suffer!please guide!

  9. Mr. Abhinay Singh,
    I have a small question regarding land requirement. We have a society registered and running hundreds of primary schools in India. To get recognition from state government do we need to have land in the name of School though we have our land and buildings in the Name of our organization.

    1. Dear Sir,
      The land can be in the name of the society or leased to the society whites running the school.

      So answering your specific query, if the land is in the name of your organisation which if is a Trust or a Society than it is alright for you to apply for affiliation.

      1. Do a School get affiliation number in middle school syllabus approval or not ? Or only school get affiliation number for secondary and sr secondary

    1. It should be 360square feet minimum. Keep in mind your state government norms also matter in respect of classroom size inspected and verified before NOC is issued. For ICSE affilition, the minimum land required is 2000sq.mtrs.Middle-level school is recognized by DIOS/state government.ICSE/CBSE affiliation you require before starting the 9th class.

Leave a Reply to Abhiney Singh Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *